Choosing a water based moisturiser & Other moisturising Products.

April 12, 2012

At the beginning of my hair journey finding the right moisturiser was a big problem. no matter what i used my hair was still breaking and it was dry! There had to be a reason why my moisturiser was not moisturising at all. It is very important to get a moisturiser that will actually moisturise your hair and the best way to do this is looking at the products ingredients list before choosing.

A good moisturiser should not contain heavy oils such as mineral oil, petrolatum, lanolin or Paraffin and if does have any of these then they should never be among the first five ingredients.(normaly the higher up the list an ingredient is, the higher it´s percentage in the product) here is an illustration to help you understand this better. First of all we´ll look at ingredients to check for in moisture products:
  • aqua/ water
  • alpha hydroxy acids
  • cetearyl alcohol
  • cetyl alcohol
  • glycerin/ glycerol
  • glyceryl triacetate
  • lactate
  • oleic acid
  • palmitic acid
  • polyquarternium
  • propylene glycol
  • pyrrolidine carboxylic acid
  • sodium PCA
  • sorbitol
  • stearic acid
  • stearyl alcohol
  • urea

Moisturiser 1: water, paraffinium liquidium, mineral oil, glycerin, cetyl alcohol, lanolin, panthenol.....
Moisturiser 2: water, glycerin, cetearyl alcohol, olive oil, panthenol, coconut oil...........lanolin...
Moisturiser 3: water, glycerin, sorbitol...stearyl alcohol, cetyl alcohol, coconut oil, panthenol....

So if you were in a beauty shop and saw these three moisturisers which one would you pick?

I personaly would pick moisturiser 3. because it has many moisturising ingredients.

If only 2 & 1 were there i would definitely pick 2 because the heavy oil lanolin appears further down the ingredients list which means it doesn´t make a high percentage of the product.

As for moisturiser 1 i probably wouldn´t buy it because it contains too many heavy oils which would probably not moisturise my ha or allow further moisturisation.

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. The moisturiser I use has the ingredients :
    Water, paraffin liquidum, olive oil, glycerin, isopropyl, myristate, safflower oil, lanolin, cetaryl alcohol etc.

    I have been using it for ages and it's seemed to be working well for me, but i just noticed many people say you shouldn't get a water based moisturiser with paraffin liquidum (mineral oil) in it... Do you think i should change it? And if so what to?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, if it has ben working great for you, then there is absolutely no need to change it :)

      Delete
  2. I have tried so many beauty products but none of them suited my skin. But after I have read the reviews of lifecell cream it makes me feel so curious and I must try that product too! Then after I've used it and discover by myself the effectiveness of Lifecell anti aging cream, I was truly satisfied.

    ReplyDelete